Monday, March 10, 2014

One Month

February 10th. That's the day when I loaded everything I have collected in my last 24 years of life, into a Uhual and moved to my very first ever alone apartment. The time has seemed to pass fast; with a new job full of responsibilities and task that I have to learn, new place to set up and decorate and a new city to explore. I didn't realize a month had already passed in my new journey, until today, when I was asked the date. In that moment, I recapped the changes, feelings, thoughts and things I have learned in the short time I have been here.




I've learned... that I really enjoy alone time. This has come as a surprise to me; sure, I appreciate some "me" time but most of the time, I prefer to be in the presence of others and if it I wasn't able to, it would bring me an uncomfortable sad feeling. That feeling has yet to emerge and I'm liking it. A lot.

I've learned... that it really isn't that scary to live alone. Now don't get me wrong, sometimes I have that irrational fear that some serial murder is going to burst through my door, cut me to pieces and send them in the mail to my mom, but then I remember that the chances of that happening are slim and the thought is probably just stemming from the amount of horror movies I watch.

I've felt/learned... that even though going through change can be uncomfortable and scary, it's needed. Life doesn't stay the same and it shouldn't. If things always stayed the same, we might be content with the routine, but we would stop growing as people. I know I don't want to stop growing, because I am not quite the person I want to be. Therefore, change is needed and might I add, sometimes, even beautiful.

I've learned... that it's hard to meet friends when you are no longer in college. Seriously, how do I meet awesome girlfriends? Do I need to put out an add in the newspaper? "Friendly-girl-seeking-bestie, please apply-if-you-are-as-desperate-as-myself." Seriously though, it's rough people.

I've learned... that being able to walk around the house nude is blissful. Maybe, TMI, but it's my new favorite thing.

Obviously, this list doesn't encompass all that I have learned since being here, but it does encompass (and gives me validation and hope) that making the change and moving, was a good decision. I look forward to more months and a lot more learning!

Cheers to a month of change!

No comments:

Post a Comment