Monday, November 24, 2014

Blah


noun

  1. the blahs, a feeling of physical uneasiness, general discomfort, or mild depression.
  2. a word commonly used to describe an emotional state in which the person feels a sense of having no hope; usually during a deep depression.

Those are definitions (first one from Merriam-Webster and the second from Urban Dictionary) for the emotional state "blah." This is a typical feeling for me. Working in my profession my kiddos and I often discuss their emotional state and I have them describe to me what and why they are feeling that way. This is a challenging activity. At least I know it is for me and it appears to be for many of my youth. Sometimes, you can feel mad, happy or sad and not be able to identify the exact reason why.

Often times, people around me don't understand this. If you know me, you know I struggle with depression. I work hard to be positive and not give into my depression, but there are times when it just wins. People around me will ask why I am sad, and when I tell them I can't explain it, it's puzzling to them, but that's the thing with depression, it isn't black and white and sometimes you just cannot explain why you feel the way you feel, you just know that you feel that way, and it sucks.

Tonight this word, blah, fits a little too much...

No comments:

Post a Comment